A leader is a person who guides his/her team towards a common goal. He/she is responsible for the team as a whole. A leader isn’t a boss, but in fact, a person committed to carry out the venture. So, what are the traits of a good leader? Many would think that a leader should be intelligent and good looking. But in reality, these traits just aren’t enough for a person to qualify as a good leader. There are various other characteristics a leader must possess. Here are 10 indispensable traits a good leader.
1. A good leader must be honest. Honesty is always respected. This will create a positive working atmosphere. The team members will look up to an honest leader for inspiration.
2. A good leader must be supportive. He/she should understand the circumstances and work accordingly. A leader, who supports his/her team during thick and thin, will always stay in the good books of his/her companions/subordinates.
3. A good leader must be passionate about his/her work. Team members will tend to follow his/her footsteps soon.
4. A good leader has to be confident. Confidence in speaking will definitely reflect on his/her team. There will be no sense of confusion, since he/she is conscious of his/her actions.
5. A good team leader must be daring and not worry about the consequences of his/her actions. When a team leader is confident during making decisions, he/she would be bold enough to face the outcomes.
6. A good leader should be self-aware. He/she will be conscious of the situation and always have a plan-B in case things don’t seem to be going as planned.
7. A good leader has to engage all the team members in the project. He/she cannot afford to be biased towards a particular member. This will, in turn, create an unhealthy working atmosphere.
8. A good leader must be creative. He/she should be able to come up with new schemes which will also interest his/her team. This will lead to a substantial increase in productivity.
9. A good leader has to be disciplined. A team wouldn’t like to work under an indisciplined leader. The team will tend to be rebellious under an indisciplined leader. This behavior will reflect on the team too.
10. A good leader must be a good listener. He/she has to see to it that everyone puts forward their opinions. A leader cannot impose decisions on his/her team. A leader can’t act as a dictator.